Every long distance move comes with its intricate details that can go awry. However, our staff has over 50 collective years in handling every long distance move from coast to coast. These long distance move tricks are the very ones that your moving company doesn’t want you to know. The tips will help you navigate to an easy move without the fear of changing details nor prices at the last minute.
Long Distance Move Essential Facts
A lot of people assume they have a long distance move if they are crossing state lines – however, that is simply not necessarily true. The exact, lawful definition of a long distance move is any move over 150 miles.
5 Tricks to Save You Cash on Your Long Distance Move
- Tell Your Movers Exactly What You are Moving! Most moving company operations will take advantage of discrepancies in your inventory. You can use the link above to obtain the weight of your long distance move shipment.
- Get the Weight! Again, using the link above get the weight of your shipment so you can shop around and obtain exact moving totals for an array of long distance move services.
- Find a Private Moving Company that can Deliver ASAP! If you use a long distance moving company that cannot guarantee a delivery date you can end up paying hundreds or even thousands in hotels, eating out and other fees while waiting for your shipment.
- Make Sure Your Long Distance Move Company Allows Last Minute Changes! There are always random changes when selling and renting homes or apartments. Hiring a long distance move company that allows last minute changes is key to a stress-free move. Make sure your long distance move company is able to handle storage, packing and last minute moving needs.
- Not all Long Distance Mover Companies are the Same! Long Distance Moves are booked by either private moving companies, van lines or moving brokers – moving brokers should be avoided as they take 30% off the top and sell your move to a third party. Van lines are similar to moving brokers with the exception that their vendors are usually somewhat more reliable but expect to pay much more money for a van line. Using a private long distance moving company is the best bet as they will not sell your move.
BONUS TIP: Find a moving company that will not offload, reload, sell or swap your move. This greatly decreases the chance of damages, missing items, delays and other issues.