We are a real brick-and-mortar moving company based in the following areas:
Boston MA – Providence RI – New Rochelle NY – Hartford CT – Philadelphia PA – Washington DC – Baltimore MD – Virginia Beach VA – Atlanta GA – Orlando FL – Savannah SC – Charlotte NC – Asheville NC – Raleigh NC – Jacksonville FL – Nashville TN – Dallas TX – Chicago IL
If you are looking for moving helpers near me in those areas, we can help you! Our moving helpers are trained and ready to provide top-rated moving local or long distance moving services.
To make sure your move goes smoothly, you can reach a real, live person here 7 days a week – no recordings!
Who are our moving helpers?
Our moving helpers are full time, trained moving crews hired by us – we do not broker moving jobs. All of our jobs are done by our movers – they do all the loading loading, unloading and transportation jobs for a living.
Our mover help can provide labor only moves or with our own trucks. Booking a real moving company will save you a ton of money in broker fees, franchise fees, van line fees or third party booking fees.
What happens on a typical move?
Our moving helpers nearby will come in and protect all furniture with moving blankets, moving pads, shrink wrap and all other supplies needed to keep you things safe. Moving Helpers Near Me will bring tools to disassemble and reassemble furniture on the day of your move. We have thousands of real 5 star reviews from our residential clients and we do everything we can to get a 5 star review every time. (We don’t want to risk getting a bad review and losing business.)
MOVING HELPERS NEARBY
Below is a list of links to the best moving helpers near you. All of the movers below are not affiliated with any van lines, brokers, franchises, etc therefore they can offer the best moving help at affordable prices.
Monster Movers handles moves in the New England area. All locations are family owned and operated and offer packing, storage, moving help and full coverage
Movers Near Me has private flat rate moving helpers throughout the United States for labor only moves and moves that require a moving truck or storage
Long Distance Movers Near Me operates in every state and is perfect for larger long distance moves that require extreme care
Helping Hands is a local and long distance mover in Florida providing small long distance moving options and military moves.
When most people hire a moving company for the first time, the deciding factor is usually to hire a moving company that offers the lowest prices. This action usually results in a sub-par move or being scammed. We want to help consumers choose the best moving company whether its their first or fifth move. So, if you are looking for moving company recommendations, this guide will be the most helpful article you will read.
STEP 1: SEARCHING FOR MOVERS
Most people search google for “Movers Near Me” or other common searches only to find ads by lead generation sites which sell your info to 4-10 moving companies that may not even be licensed. Its best to search for a recommended moving company through word of mouth or sites like quora that offer great advice from real experts. It is best to find movers nearby that will not sell your information, are private movers and have high consumer ratings.
STEP 2: DO YOUR HOMEWORK
It’s highly suggested to use a moving company that has been in business for 10+ years and is active in the community. Many fly by night movers will be in and out and if anything goes wrong it will be very hard to recoup any loss. There are many, many moving companies that constantly change names and operate multiple moving companies that are hard to track down. A few moving companies that are highly recommended in that they operate small, locally-owned moving companies in major cities like Boston, NYC, Raleigh, Philadelphia, and Miami are Monster Movers, Gentle Giant, and Movers Near Me . These companies have all been in business for over 15 years, consistently give back to their local communities, and have consistent high ratings in forums and online.
Then check online forums for moving company recommendations. One or two bad reviews are probably outliers, but if there’s a pattern of complaints, move on. If you’re moving long distance, look for a company that specializes in that. Some local moving companies subcontract out long-distance moves, and quality may suffer.
STEP 3: CHECK ADDITIONAL MOVING FEES
Once you’ve narrowed the field, have the top contenders come to your house to look at your things and provide an estimate. While they’re there ask whether they’ll charge additional fees for things like stairs, specialty packing, or disassembling and assembling furniture. Untrustworthy movers typically rush the sale and plan on charging you for the small things on moving day and charge for everything. A quick list of additional moving fees you should be wary of:
If a moving company wants to give you a quote over the phone without visually inspecting your home and things, take it off your list.
STEP 4: MAKING SURE YOUR MOVING QUOTE IS ACCURATE
Make sure you get any agreements in writing from your moving company, and that all fields have been filled out when you sign the contract.
STEP 5: CONSIDER MOVING INSURANCE
Interstate movers must include minimum basic insurance protection for 60 cents per pound per item. “That’s not great coverage if you’ve got a big screen TV that’s very heavy and also very breakable,” says Katherine Hutt, a spokeswoman for the Better Business Bureau.
Protect your pricey items by buying an additional policy that will provide the replacement value for your belongings, should they be damaged in transit, but you’ll need to specifically declare high-value items. For local moves, check with your homeowners insurance to see whether it provides coverage for your things during a move. Move small valuables like jewelry, coins, and important paperwork on your own.
When you buy a product, you want it to be the best in its category. When you pay for a service, you want it to be provided by the best professionals in the field. So, when hiring movers for your relocation, you’ll, of course, want to choose among the most recommended moving companies in the country.
But how can you find the most reliable and highly experienced professionals in a competitive industry where everyone claims to be the best? How can you be sure that you’ll make the right choice and hire competent, trustworthy movers who will take good care of your items and will bring your relocation to a successful end?
The fail-safe way to ensure that you’ll be working with skilled, dependable moving professionals is to get recommendations on movers – references and testimonials from previous customers, ratings from consumer reports, online reviews of moving companies, professional organization credentials, etc. A mover who has an excellent track record, largely positive moving reviews, and high ratings is very likely to do a good job with your relocation – recommended movers are a safe and wise choice.
Researching your options and getting recommendations will help you stay away from incompetent movers, avoid moving scams, and ensure a smooth and successful relocation. The only remaining question is how to find reliable references.
Here are some of the best ways to get recommendations for movers:
Look for Personal References
The best recommendations for movers you can get is by word of mouth or various moving recommendation forums like reddit, facebook or quora. There is no better way to find unbiased opinions and genuine feedback about moving companies than talking to people who have recently used professional moving services – they will be more than glad to share their experiences and vent their frustration, anger, or satisfaction with the movers they worked with.
CONSIDERATIONS WHEN YOU ARE COMPARING RECOMMENDED MOVING COMPANIES What kind of estimate the movers provided What kind of insurance they offered Did they require a deposit How efficiently they worked; How careful they were when handling household items and personal possessions What extra services the movers provided How they handled difficulties and unforeseen obstacles; How soon was the shipment delivered; Were all the goods in good condition; Was the final moving cost the same as stated in the initial quote Were there any problems or disputes with the movers and how did they resolve the issue
We require our movers to be CORI-checked with a comprehensive background check and they are trained extensively before entering your residence. We work hard to keep your personal information safe and secure and never sell your information
Ready to get a moving quote from us? You can simply get a FREE, INSTANT MOVING QUOTE by completing your move request in the form above. Please read the factors that affect a moving estimate below.
Moving Services Near Me
Believe it or not, there’s more than just one type of moving service to choose from when relocating to a new home. The different types of moving companies include full-service moving companies, self-service moving companies, and specialized moving companies.
Full-service moving company — The most expensive type of mover is the popular full-service moving company. These professionals will do everything from packing your belongings, loading and unloading the truck, and transporting your belongings to the destination.
Specialized Piece by Piece Movers Near Me — Specialized moving companies are trained in the proper ways to move pianos, hot tubs appliances, art, antiques and other specialized items.
Guaranteed Long Distance Movers – If you need guaranteed dates for long distance moves – this will greatly affect the price
Many moving companies offer both local and long distance moving services.
Why Moving Companies Near Me
So why opt for a moving company over doing your move yourself? For starters, hiring a moving company near you saves you from having to do any of the heavy lifting on moving day. This, in and of itself, is the most common reason why people choose to hire professional movers. Moving company pros know how to properly load and unload moving trucks, as well as how to move furniture without scratching the floors. Choosing a reputable and reliable moving company to handle your relocation only ensures that your move will be carried out in the most efficient way possible. It also frees up valuable time and energy that you can spend on other important to-do list items on your moving checklist.
Moving Companies Near Me FAQ
What moving company services are included on a long distance moving quote?
Looking for someone to handle your move from beginning to end? A full service moving company can do just that. “Full service” means the moving company will come to your house in their moving truck, load your belongings, drive them to the destination and unload your items. Full service moving companies typically offer additional services as well, such as packing, unpacking, disassembling furniture and reassembling furniture. Of course, you can always box up your own belongings and have a full service moving company do the rest. Full service moves are popular among customers who are moving at the last minute, as well as those who lack the time and ability to move themselves. While hiring a full service moving company often means spending big bucks, many will tell you that the added convenience is well worth the higher price tag.
YOUR MOVING QUOTE EXPLAINED
When movers give a non-binding moving estimate, they are giving the customer a moving quote based on the estimated weight of their belongings. However, this non-binding quote is not set in stone and will most likely change depending on the actual weight of the move. A binding estimate is a fixed cost estimate. If the customer agrees to a binding estimate, then they will pay exactly what they were originally quoted. A binding not-to-exceed estimate means that even if the weight of a customer’s shipment exceeds the original estimate, they won’t be charged anything extra. Instead, they’ll only pay what they were originally quoted. If their shipment weighs less than originally estimated, then they’ll only be charged for the cost of shipping the actual weight of their belongings.
Should I choose a binding or non-binding moving company quote?
The most popular type of moving quote is the binding not-to-exceed estimate. This type of moving quote is often called a “guaranteed not-to-exceed” estimate as well. It’s usually in the customer’s best interest to choose a binding not-to-exceed estimate because it ensures that they won’t pay more than originally quoted even if the weight of the belongings ends up weighing more than originally estimated. However, if the shipment weighs less than the original estimate, then the customer will actually pay less than the original quote.
What does a moving quote include?
If moving a long distance, your estimate should include the name and address of your mover, the tariff cost, miles traveled, minimum weight and estimated weight, any discounts applied, packing and unpacking service fees, storage charges, transportation charges, fuel surcharges, insurance surcharges, and accessorial services.
How can I save money when moving?
There’s no doubt that hiring a moving company will cost you a pretty penny. Fortunately, there are ways to cut back on costs when hiring professional movers. First, inquire about various discounts available. Additionally, many moving companies also offer military discounts to members of the armed forces. A second way to cut costs is to pack yourself for the move instead of hiring professional movers to box up your belongings. Third, choose a move date associated with lower moving rates. Avoid peak moving season in the summer and opt for a late fall/winter move when demand is lowest. Finally, you can cut costs on moving by getting rid of unnecessary belongings. After all, the heavier your move, the more expensive it will be.
Moving Companies Near Me Quotes
Full-service moving company quotes are factored on many items, here are the most popular:
Actual Weight — In general, the more stuff you move, the more expensive your move will be. Not only does it take longer to load and unload a large household, but it also requires a much bigger truck. You can find out your weight with this moving calculator.
Moving Distance — The mileage between point A and point B affects the price of a full service move. Not only will you have to pay for gas, but you’ll also have to pay the driver for his time on the road. In general, the farther the move, the more expensive it will be.
Labor costs — Labor costs may vary from state to state and moving company to moving company. For local moves, you’ll be paying movers an hourly rate. Interstate moves usually include the estimated cost of labor in the moving quote.
Packing costs — If hiring the full-service movers to pack and unpack your belongings, be prepared to pay at least a few hundred dollars extra for the service. Moving companies will also include the added cost of disassembling and reassembling furniture in their moving estimate.
Liability and valuation coverage — Movers must provide customers with two valuation coverage options: Full Value Protection and Basic Protection. Full value protection is the more comprehensive option. This liability coverage states that if your mover damages or loses an item, they will reimburse you for its current cash value. Released Value Protection is the most basic liability option available. It’s included in your moving quote for free and only covers .60 cents per pound of cargo.
Additional storage — If you need a moving company to temporarily store your belongings before, during or after the move, this cost will be added to your moving estimate. Storage rates vary from mover to mover, so be sure to ask about rates before agreeing to include this service in the estimate.
Moving Companies Near Me Quote
With numerous moving companies to choose from, we know the decision can be a bit overwhelming. Fortunately, with Movers Near Me, it’s easy to find, compare and book the moving company that best fits your needs. All you have to do is submit your moving details above to receive free moving quotes from a number of professional moving companies. Best of luck and happy moving!
With a network of more than 100 professionally vetted, locally owned moving companies all across the United States, Movers Near Me is America’s #1 go-to moving company resource. To find movers near me, request a quote and a licensed, insured and guaranteed mover in your area will email you an instant moving quote. Only the best moving company in your area will have access to your information as our system matches you with the best mover near you. Movers Near Me will never sell your information to any other agency or source.
How Do I Get a Quote for Movers Near Me?
Simply log on to www.moversnearme.com and click the Quote Request button above you can also call or set up a FaceTime call with one of the representatives. Our FaceTime moving quote option is a great way to get an on-site estimate without taking time out of your busy day to schedule someone to come to your home
Let Our Professionally Vetted, Locally Owned Movers Help You!
If you’re looking for a moving company to take everything off of your hands, you have landed in the right place. In addition to moving your household goods, Movers Near Me can also assist with packing, storage, overnight moving, cleaning, debris pick-up and restoration services.
Local Movers Near Me
Whether customers are moving to a new neighborhood, city, state or country, Movers Near Me strives to service them. The movers in your area will have the ability and correct licensing and insurance to. experience help customers from moving quote to move-in day. We also provide customers with moving checklists, packing tips and more!
Why Movers Near Me?
Movers Near Me is America’s #1 resource for finding locally owned moving companies near you that carefully vet and confirm a professional, full service moving company will come to your door . Many of our customers prefer that we handle everything from start to finish. We are humbled to be given the opportunity to manage customer moves, so that our customers can focus on what matters most to them.
HOME MOVING SERVICES
It’s no secret that moving an entire household is stressful, and we’re here to help you with managing your relocation stress. With a 96% referral rate from customers who refer us to friends and family for their next move, you can trust us as the Movers Near Me
A MOVING COMPANY EQUIPPED TO HANDLE LOCAL MOVES OF ANY SIZE
Our mission to exceed customers’ expectations by customizing our moving services to fit each unique need has remained the same. We do this by our unique online quote system that easily allows users to input all information and get matched with the movers that are best for their move
We offer a wide variety of local moves, including apartments, single-family homes, retirement communities, dorms, condos, and many more! Our movers are trained to protect your belongings and your home – all pieces of furniture are padded and stretch wrapped free of charge, ensuring your items and home are damage-free at the end of your move. Having added stress about packing up your home prior to moving?
LOCAL MOVING WITH EASE
When you hire movers, it’s important they come prepared to get the job done right. Our moving experts live in the communities where they work, so knowledge of the area plays to our advantage as we move you. Our crews have vast knowledge of their local area; from home moves to apartments, condos, townhouses, and high-rises – we have experience with all moving situations to provide you a seamless transition.
Using our clean and fully stocked 26 ft., moving trucks, our movers pad and stretch wrap all of your belongings for maximum protection during the move. We also implement the use of hardwood floor runners, banister and railing covers, door jambs, carpet shields, and mattress bags to limit any potential damages while items are being moved.
Our professionally trained move teams are background checked and drug screened, giving you peace of mind that your items are safe throughout the entire moving process. Additionally, all team members are permanent, trained employees to provide an even better professional experience while moving your most prized possessions.
For more information and pricing on our moving services, find the location nearest you! We can’t wait to help move you forward.
MOVERS NEAR ME GUARANTEE
Your Happiness and Satisfaction are very important to us!
We Always Arrive On Time!
We will take extra steps to keep both of your residences clean!
Fall is the best time of year to move as the busy and usually costly summer season has come and gone, families looking to relocate before the beginning of back-to-school are settled in, and the housing market isn’t as intense. Lower prices, lower temps, and lower competition all work in your favor. That said, you’ll still want to plan ahead as much as possible. With changing seasons come different challenges and considerations. Below are twenty hints for moving in the fall:
20 Hints for Moving in the Fall
1. Take Advantage of Lower Moving Costs
Depending on the housing market, moving in the fall is typically much more affordable than summer. Moving companies have cleared the summer rush, gas prices can be lower, and there is more truck/crew availability.
2. Declutter Your Summer Gear
You may have a number of clothing items, swimwear, beach gear, outdoor furniture, toys, and other seasonal items that just won’t make it to next summer. Instead of packing and moving these items, only to discard them next year, take some time to declutter and items you don’t want to pay to take with you. And, if there are old cold-weather clothing items you or your family have grown out of, consider donating those before the colder weather hits.
3. Rethink Storage
If you live in a climate with challenging seasonal weather, reconsider the benefits of putting some items in storage during your move. This will help clear your moving truck of heavy or bulky items you may not use until late next spring or summer (like outdoor furniture, gardening tools, and barbecues), and can streamline your move by helping you pack everything at once. It will also make move-in that much easier when you arrive.
4. Pack for the Season
While you’re considering bulkier items, don’t forget about clothes and sporting gear that you may not need right away after the move. Pack seasonal items together so you can find them easily later – and make sure you’ve left out all those cold-weather items you’ll need shortly after you settle into your new place, like rain boots and raincoats, snow gear, and snow-removal equipment. If you’ve stored them away, now’s a good time to make sure they’re easy to access and unpack after you’ve arrived.
5. Unpack for the Season
If you’ve stored away crock pots and sandwich presses, large dutch ovens, and other seasonal dishes and service wear, consider talking to your movers about placing them in more accessible locations in your house or apartment upon your arrival. Instead of trudging out to the garage or down to the storage closet to find items you packed away last year, they’ll be in your kitchen or dining room, ready to be put into service for the fall and winter seasons.
6. Setup Utilities in Advance
There’s nothing worse than arriving in a new place during the chilly, wet fall to find you haven’t set up all the proper utilities like electricity and gas. Often times, waits for new accounts can be several days. Not so great when the temperature drops. So be sure you’re clear on what’s required to setup or transfer your accounts, so that you arrive to a warm, bright environment on day 1.
7. Put Down Plastic During Your Move
When both moving in and moving out during the fall, the potential to track in wet leaves, dirt, and mud increase. You want to get back your security deposit, or at least ensure your post move-out cleanup doesn’t involve plastering holds in the walls of your apartment or steam-cleaning rugs. So buy plastic painter’s sheeting, or cut open large black trash bags and tape to entryways and other pathways where movers and friends will be coming and going. When you arrive at your destination, be sure the movers wait for you to lay down more plastic before unloading your items.
8. Keep a Broom Handy
During the fall, no matter your preparation, you’re going to track in a lot of leaves and dirt. Have a broom, paper towels, and sponge mops ready so you can clean as you go. This will ease the post-move cleanup, and help to avoid tracking materials into and out of your moving truck, onto your furniture and boxes, and into your new home or apartment.
9. Clear Outdoor Pathways
Despite your precautions for protecting your existing and new home or apartment, you should take extra steps to clear the outdoor paths to and from the moving truck to avoid dangerous situations. Sweep away leaves and shallow puddles with a stiff broom, and put down flat pieces of cardboard in any particularly wet, muddy, or slick spots. Another helpful fall moving tip requires cleaning while you go can help keep your place tidy and can also help avoid injuries you might sustain while carrying heavy items to and from your place.
10. And an Umbrella for that Matter
Rain is the worst for moves. There’s simply no avoiding taking your things outside into the weather to load them into the truck. So be sure you have an ample supply of umbrellas and other plastic covering to keep furniture, upholstery, and boxes dry as they’re loaded into and out of the truck. Wet boxes can break or mold—especially if headed for prolonged storage. And it’s just no fun starting out in your new place with a wet couch.
11. Dress Appropriately
We know, you’re probably used to the tried-and-true moving uniform: running shoes, shorts, and old T-shirt and a baseball cap. But during the fall you’re going to have to plan ahead or colder, and potentially wet weather. Be sure you’re wearing shoes with good traction, have a hooded rain jacket on hand, and that you’ve considered layers so you can dress up or down depending on temperature fluctuations, and how challenging your move becomes.
12. Sell Your Stuff
Start early on your vending efforts to maximize profits. Personally, we’re fans of services that allow you to make money from the comfort of your own couch (who isn’t?).
And, of course, there’s always the classic standby: Craigslist and Nextdoor.com
13. Get creative with how you transport heavy items
Heavy items are one of the main reasons people hire expensive help on moving day. After all, no one wants to throw out their back while lugging an outdated stereo system down the stairs. But trust us, with a couple of hacks, you’ll be able to keep your cash and your back.
Let’s talk about books. Your expansive, curated literary collection is impressive when it’s up in shelves; on moving day, it’s just a pain. Rather than tossing those tons in boxes, pack them in a rolling suitcase, and voila: a portable library.
Think creatively with other heavy items, such as furniture. Remove any attached parts, like legs and drawers, to make the bulk significantly lighter. And always place a piece of cardboard under a heavy item to prevent scratches on the floor. Finally, push instead of pulling -– it’s easier on your body.
14. Hire Movers You Can Trust
Find Google Guaranteed Movers – they have to be licensed, insured, have an actual brick and mortar location and have high insurance. We recommend Monster Movers serving the following states: MA, RI, NH, ME, VT, PA, DE, NJ, NY, VA, DC, SC, NC, FL, GA, TN, MN, CO, CA, OH, MI,
15. “Save the date”… for your move
We know, we know – it’s moving day, not your wedding day. But go ahead and get into that planning mentality anyway: Pick the date and time you want to move well in advance, and you could end up saving a ton of cash. Moving in October, November or December moving both mid-month and mid-week will save you the most money as every moving service from storage to moving trucks and full-service movers – is cheaper in the middle of the month.
16. Get the weight of every item you’re contemplating moving
Finding out how much your furniture weighs in key to getting a guaranteed quote – find a moving calculator here.
If those two boxes of kitchen supplies are all that’s standing between you and a smaller, significantly cheaper storage unit or moving truck, it might be time to implement some tough love.This is where decluttering and a minimalist living approach to your home come in handy – the less stuff you have to move, the all-around cheaper your move will be.Are you still paying for single-use, flimsy cardboard moving boxes? There are so many moving box alternatives, ranging from delivered-to-your-door box rentals to recycled wine crates or banana boxes
When it comes time to wipe down your old apartment, instead of picking up new cleaner, use what you already have. A half-empty bottle of vinegar, a past-ripe lemon, and some old rags may be all you need for a through ceiling-to-floor clean.
17. Got pets or kids? Leave them with a friend while you move
As for kids, your move is exactly the time you should call in a favor with your family. As lovable as they are, kids and pets can cause damage during a move and make the move take longer as movers aka. friends you’ve bribed have to negotiate around them as they run around during moving.
18.Moving out-of-state? Find a Private, Flat Rate Moving Company
Using a private, flat rate moving company that won’t swap, sell or unload your shipment is crucial to avoiding damage, missing items or pricing that drastically changes.
19. Check Your Personal Vehicles
While this isn’t necessarily related to your move, relocation is a good reminder to do those things you’ve been putting off throughout the year. While there’s a lot you can do online, some things, like your car, require professional support. So take your ride for service to ensure it’s running and in good shape prior to the colder, wetter seasons.
20. Keep Personal Items with You
You should keep personal papers, social security card and other irreplaceable items with you in a suitcase.
STEP 2: Fill out the general information – you don’t need to add exact addresses – all the long distance moving estimator needs is zip codes
STEP 3: Go through your house and add your inventory. This takes between 5-15 minutes. Other long distance moving estimators take upwards of two hours or longer especially if you have to wait for someone to come to your home for an on-site estimate.
Before even listing your house, most people ask themselves a familiar question: “What will be my average long distance moving cost?“. Please read thoroughly through our average moving cost post with regards to what long distance moving estimates are based on. In a nutshell:
Google states that the American Moving and Storage Association states that the average cost of a long distance move is about $4,300. However long distance moves can be between $1250 and $40,000. It is such a huge range it is impossible to give an “average cost” But, here is what will determine your long distance moving estimate price:
The most important thing to remember here is that the following moving costs are only approximate values that can serve you well to get a general view of what your long distance move will cost you. The best way to get a guaranteed long distance moving estimate is to use the long distance moving calculator.
For the sake of convenience, if we assume that you’re moving to a new city that is exactly 1000 miles away from your starting point, then you have the following moving average price examples:
Studio apartment-. On average, household items found in a studio apartment weigh approximately 2000-2200 pounds then you should expect to pay no less than around $1500 excluding any extra services. Keep in mind, most moving companies have a 2,000 or 3,000 lb minimum
1-bedroom apartment-. On average, household goods inside a 1-bedroom apartment can weigh between 2500 and 3500 pounds, which means that you’ll be paying within the range of $1800-$2500 for a long distance move.
2-bedroom home – On average, the items found in a 2-bedroom residence weigh between 5000-6000 you should be charged no less than around $3500-$4200 .
3-bedroom home- A normal 3 bedroom is approximately 6000-7500 lbs or $4700-$6000
4+bedroom home- usually has 8000 lbs or more, so you can expect $6,000+
Moving out of state or across the country is no easy feat. Whether you’re moving for a new job, to be closer to family, to live in a warmer climate, or for a different reason, the stress of relocation can take its toll. During this time of transition, the greatest help comes from hiring a long distance moving company you can trust to handle your move.
Moving is not the most economical event in a person’s life yet we all do it one time or another. All those boxes and tape are a waste for the environment so here are some ways to use moving pads and bands to alleviate some of the debris discarded after a move and make your move a green one!
Some other things you can do to make your relocation a green move are: recycling moving boxes, hiring green movers, and
Recycling Moving Boxes
If you are a germaphobic, you may not want to use others boxes but if you can live with the possibility of others touching your boxes you can check NextDoor and craigslist for boxes. NextDoor is a great app if you live in a suburb – you can usually find moving boxes within a few days here. Big box stores like costco and bjs as well as liquor stores will have used boxes.
When you a finished with your moving boxes you can post them on-line and/or do something useful with them. I used to let my kids use them to build castles, cars and what have you. Teens may enjoy using a razor to cut out shapes for crafts. There are a ton of cardboard craft ideas on pinterest! Some moving companies will pick up boxes at the completion of a move and use them as floor and wall protectors on another move.
Hiring Green Movers
There are a few green movers that you can hire – but finding some near you can pose a difficult challenge. Monster Movers is a green moving company that uses fuel efficient vehicles, recycled materials, and saves over 50% of paper waste by using electronic copies of estimates, bills and inventory. They are members of the sustainable business network and here are there green initiatives:
Reduce and reuse our moving boxes whenever possible
Offer complimentary retrieval of used moving boxes and packing supplies
Resell used boxes at discounted prices
Collect all non reusable moving boxes, which are then compacted and sent to a recycling center
Recycle anywhere between 20,000 – 30,000 pounds of materials each year
Provide moving boxes that are manufactured from 90% post-consumer recycled materials
Use only biodegradable foam peanuts
Use bubble wrap that is oxo-biodegradable, degrading into only water, carbon dioxide and less than 1% natural biomass
Source the production of our moving boxes and packing materials from companies that participate in Sustainable Forestry Initiative programs
Use FSC certified products for external marketing materials
Member of the Sustainable Business Association
Make sure you do research to make sure you are actually hiring a real green moving company and not just a company called green movers that doesn’t use sustainable practices.
Donate Unused Items
Moving is the perfect time to purge and donate unused items to be used by others. Again, NextDoor is a great app to use where you can post a curb alert letting others know that you have free stuff on your curb that they can take.
Moving Cross Country is time-consuming, full of surprises, and overall a pain in the butt. Here’s a quick video outlining the steps for moving cross country:
As you can see hiring a reputable moving company is numero uno on the list of importance when moving cross country. Here are some things to look for and a little bit about the best cross country movers we know!
About the Best Cross Country Movers we know – Monster Movers:
Monster Movers is a long distance moving company that consists of a team of professional movers who are experts in storage, relocation, packing, and specialty shipping. Since 1999, we have been in the business of offering exceptionally prompt and painless moving services around 48 states.T his makes us stand out as the best moving company in the US. We are aware that customers will be glad if they can experience this kind of service, hence, we moved to bring their desires to fulfillment. Since we have made Customer Satisfaction our foremost priority, we always ensure to put smiles on the faces of our clients and customers by providing superior customer service support. We have upheld this principle since inception.
OUR CORE VALUES INCLUDE:
To deliver all orders as promised; conducting ourselves with equality and honesty.
To be open-armed to everyone from various backgrounds in the community and workplace.
To be full of empathy for clients, co-staff, and community.
To offer loyal services to all our customers while also responding to all complaints and enquires with attention and accuracy.
Our mission at Monster Movers is to continually surpass customers’ expectations in the standard of satisfaction and value on investment. We maintain guaranteed prices on all orders placed on our out-of-state moving services. Cross country moving costs are affordable because we focus on client progress. Our long distance moving services include packing of all furniture items, kitchenware, mirrors, lamps, pictures, electronics, etc. You can be sure that your belongings are safe with us!
Our professional long distance movers are also skilled at utilizing moving boxes for packaging your valuables; making sure that all items are prepared for out of state move. On pick-up day, a bar-coded inventory list of all items is made, and we will provide you with a copy. We are professional movers and are simply amazing at what we do. We provide all types of long distance moves from and to anywhere within the United States.Going new places can’t come any easier with our astute expertise in storage, moving, relocation, packing, and logistics services. Our long distance moving company is dedicated to unparalleled problem-solving.
Look no further and give us a call today!
Cross Country Moving Company offers competitive rates for every long distance move. Many moving companies offer “low rates” laden with hidden fees and charges. We do not play that game. We provide a guaranteed rate for every long distance move. We also provide free, no-obligation consultations, so you will know exactly how much your move will cost before you even hire Cross Country Moving Company.
At Cross Country Moving Company, we hold our services to the highest of standards and we strive to provide the customer with the safest and most efficient moving solution in the country. We take the safety of your valuables very seriously and that’s why we utilize only the finest moving equipment available. Our fleet of modern moving trucks undergoes regular diagnostic checks to ensure that no harm will come to your possessions during transportation. A fleet of modern trucks means that we can also move more often at reduced costs to our customers.
We also only hire the best movers. Everyone that works for Cross Country Moving Company is a trained, dedicated professional with years of moving industry experience. Our movers go through one of the most rigorous training programs in the long distance moving industry. We also carefully select and train our drivers and packing staff to ensure that our customer gets only the very best service. Cross Country Moving Company stands for professionalism. Each and every one of our employees is expected to uphold our ethic of superior customer service. We believe that you should be able to trust Cross Country Moving Company to treat your belongings with the same level of respect and care as we would our own. In our opinion, there is nothing more important than providing the customer with absolute best service.
Our customers trust us to safely transport their most valuable possessions because of our reputation for unbeatable service and outstanding professionalism. When it comes right down to it our job is about making your moving day as stress-free and enjoyable as possible. Hundreds of extremely satisfied customers have discovered how easy moving can be when you have Cross Country Moving Company on your side. We have remained the most trusted name in long-distance moves and our customers continue to provide us with overwhelmingly positive reviews. When you are in need of a moving service you can trust look no further than Cross Country Moving Company.
Can you spot a moving scam from a mile away? Most would answer no. Moving companies can have years of shady business practices before actually being shut down… only to open up in the next town over with a new name. We are going to outline the top 10 moving scams and how to avoid moving scams as well as providing moving help for local and long distance moves.
A moving company that doesn’t answer the phone with the company name that is advertised. An example would be a moving company that is advertised “Nationwide Van Lines” but answers the phone “movers,” something mumbled “movers” or another generic company name. This usually means the moving company is hiding their true name from the government, IRS, unhappy customers, etc. It could also mean that the company has changed names which indicates they had to shut down and stop using their name to avoid – taxes, lawsuits, etc. MOVING HELP TIP: LOOK FOR ESTABLISHED MOVERS THAT HAVE — — USED THE SAME NAME FOR 10+ YEARS
The low-ball quote. This occurs daily in every city in every state. There is no avoiding the moving scam- it’s up to you to do your due diligence in order to get an accurate moving quote. I suggest using a moving calculator. Now, most moving company moving calculators ask the number of rooms. This is highly inaccurate and often results in both parties arguing and moving prices increasing. MOVING HELP TIP: — — USE AN ACCURATE MOVING CALCULATOR THAT ADJUSTS YOUR MOVING QUOTE PIECE BY PIECE FIND ONE HERE.
Moving companies that ask for any more than $100 for a local move or 10% for a long distance move should be avoided at all costs. Many long distance moving scams occur when long distance movers ask for 30-50% down. Simple you are thinking, you can just cancel your credit card if they don’t show up, are late, break things, etc. It’s not that simple. Moving company scammers are so crafty they have you sign to agree to the move. Then, when you go to cancel your credit card, they will say the deposit was non-refundable which is usually in the fine print for the move. Some moving documents are pages long and have multiple “outs” for movers to keep your deposit. This scam is frequently used by agents for van lines as they have the legal support to back up the paperwork. MOVING HELP TIP: NEVER PAY MORE THAN 10% FOR A LONG DISTANCE MOVING DEPOSIT OR $100 FOR A LOCAL MOVE – ANY MORE IS HIGHLY SUSPECT
Additional moving fees are usually not included in a basic moving quote. For example, if you get a moving quote but did not indicate one of the following, many movers will take advantage and charge you more: multiple flights of stairs, elevator, long haul, shuttle fees, taxes, tolls, etc. Besides being up-front with your mover, you should get a guaranteed moving quote. MOVING HELP TIP: FIND MOVERS THAT DON’T CHARGE ADDITIONAL FEES, GET A LIST OF ANY FEES THAT THEY COULD POSSIBLY CHARGE
Many moving companies have great websites. It would be normal to expect your moving company to show up uniformed, with a clean truck, clean moving blankets and provide a professional service. The fact is, most moving companies will show up with an unmarked truck with a crew with ripped jeans and dirty moving blankets. MOVING HELP TIP: LOOK ON SOCIAL MEDIA TO FIND MOVING COMPANIES THAT HAVE THIER OWN CLEAN TRUCKS AND CREW
All moving companies are required to assume liability for the value of the goods that they transport. However, there are two different levels of liability that apply and you should be aware of the charges that apply and the amount of protection provided by each level. MOVING HELP TIP: FIND A MOVING COMPANY THAT OFFERS BOTH TYPES OF COVERAGE
After your move is complete, you will have 15 days in order to file a claim. After that, the window of opportunity has passed. Many moving companies work with a claim company that will strictly adhere to the 15-day window. The problem is, most consumers are not aware of this window and it is usually written in fine print on the contract. MOVING HELP TIP: MAKE SURE YOU GET YOUR CLAIMS IN WRITING TO YOUR MOVERS WITHIN THE 15 DAY TIME LIMIT
Federal law requires one of two kinds of moving contracts. A non-binding estimate means the company cannot require payment of more than 10 percent above the original estimate, due at delivery. It also goes the other way – the moving company expects a certain amount going so your price will be only 10% lower at most. A binding estimate is supposed to be a guaranteed price for the move and all extras. Some moving companies will charge by the cubic foot. Well, essentially you can easily add hundreds of cubic feet on to a move by not packing tight. Moving companies, especially containerized movers are notorious for packing to add less weight and more cubic feet. MOVING HELP TIP: GET A QUOTE BASED ON WEIGHT
Say no to low-ball bids. Watch out for rogue movers who get your business with bargain-price estimates. After filling the truck, they hold your possessions hostage until you pay thousands more. “Hostage load” movers tend to be smaller, unlicensed companies that may advertise on Craigslist or roadside signs. You’re safer checking listings on moving.org, a website run by the industry’s trade group. For moves between states, go to protectyourmove.gov, a federal watchdog website that verifies interstate moving companies’ licenses and complaint histories. One way to save is by moving midweek or in the middle of the month, in the fall or winter. Rogue movers are rampant in the summer and fall months. When moving the famous “you pay for what you get” advice is especially true. MOVING HELP TIP: GET ESTIMATES FROM MULTIPLE SOURCES AND CHECK WEIGHTS WITH AN ONLINE MOVING CALCULATOR TO MAKE SURE YOUR MOVERS ARE IN THE BALLPARK
When hiring a van line, there are many dynamics involved. Your items will be picked up by one vendor, loaded, offloaded into storage, picked up by a truck, possibly swapped onto another truck or offloaded/reloaded at another storage facility, and eventually delivered by another vendor. The damage and loss that occurs with van lines is incredible. The first moving company could wrap and protect your furniture perfectly but no furniture can withstand constant loading and offloading. Many van lines have gone bankrupt or merged with other van lines. If you don’t purchase full replacement coverage, any loss will be valued at $.60/lb/article. Van lines offer full replacement coverage at a much higher ( approximately 80% higher) than a private moving company because they expect loss. MOVING HELP TIP: FIND A PRIVATE FULL SERVICE LONG DISTANCE MOVING COMPANY AND AVOID VAN LINES
If you’re among the 35 million Americans relocating this year, add the need to avoid cons to the other stressors that result from moving. About 3,600 complaints out of 800,000 moves were filed last year by people who hired interstate movers, you will need to heed some advice to make sure you are not a victim of a moving scam.
HOW TO AVOID MOVING SCAMS
Know your paperwork. Keep a copy of everything you sign — especially the “bill of lading,” which is a legal document that acknowledges the carrier is in possession of your cargo and serves as a receipt. An “order for service” lists what the mover will do, as well as pickup and delivery dates, and an inventory list shows each item you shipped and its condition (cross-check it after delivery). With nonbinding estimates, movers may be legally allowed to inflate charges about 10 percent. Binding estimates provide a fixed price but tend to be higher. Movers typically provide minimal insurance; before buying replacement-value coverage, check if your homeowners policy covers items lost or damaged during a move.
1. Ask your friends who they have used
You can research a mover online until the cows come home, but the fact is that websites are easy to put up and take down, online testimonials are easy to fake, and Internet credentials are just words. Talking to a friend or family member, or soliciting the advice of a trusted real estate agent, are better ways to obtain the names of reputable companies.
2. Check your movers out
There are several options for investigating movers, including government sites like ProtectYourMove.gov, and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) site, FMCSA.gov. There are moving scam sites that are actually owned by moving companies. Xpress Movers owns mymovingreviews.com. MovingScam is owned by a van line. Be careful there are many moving scams out there. It is best to hire movers that your friends have hired, you have seen in action or have a third party moving company reviews site like customerlobby.com that does not alter reviews based on payments.
3. Ask about additional fees Your movers should be upfront with all additional fees and what your your moving fees should depend on. Here is a quick video for long distance moving costs which are more complicated than local moving costs
4. Get multiple estimates and use an online calculator to check
Shop around and get three estimates, in writing, after the aforementioned home visit. This is especially important for state to state moves, where the logistics are even more critical. Walter cautions against simply accepting the lowest bid. “It can be a red flag if one of your three bids is much lower than the others.”says Walters. “It’s not always a scam, but ask yourself why is it so low.”
5. Don’t pay your bill upfront
Some companies require long distance moving deposit as high as 50% percent of the total move, especially for a state-to-state relocation. Reputable companies should not require you to pay everything, or even half, upfront. Opt for 10% as a maximum deposit.
Moving scams are the worst. Usually movers will scam people out of a few hundred dollars. A significant amount but not enough to spend hours of time to report, hire a lawyer or even more time-consuming – go to court. They understand this so you must be prepared to use this knowledge so you don’t become a moving scam victim.
Moving expenses can get out of control really quickly – you need to prepare yourself to save money when moving from the very beginning – here are 99 Ways to Save Money When Moving:
1. Buy disposable booties for movers if it rains during your move – this could save money getting carpets cleaned. This is especially true if you are moving into a newly constructed building where the landscaping hasn’t been finished.
2. Schedule your move for off dates mid-week. The beginning, middle and end of the month are usually very expensive and book early. Plan for a weekday from the 7th-12th or 19th to 24th for the best rates.
3. Don’t pay for moving insurance if you already are covered through homeowners insurance – you will have to call and check your policy.
4 Donating your items to Salvation Army or other non-profits will reduce moving costs and provide you with a tax-deductible receipt which will save you money during tax season.
5. Using a moving calculator, get your weight and negotiate the best moving company rates.
6. When moving long distance, you have to consider if your items are worth shipping – for example if your mover charges $.80/pound to move from NYC to Miami – a 200 pound table is going to cost $160. You may be able to get a new IKEA table in Miami rather than pay for shipping your old one.
7. Don’t pay for packing materials. You should be able to find slightly used boxes on craigslist, liquor stores, big box stores like Costco, Walmart.
8. Move during the off-season. January-March are usually much less expensive than June-December.
9. If you are moving to/from a major city – think Boston, NYC, DC – steer clear of long distance movers who charge shuttle fees. A shuttle is a smaller truck that can get into smaller roads and on Manhattan – this can save thousands.
10. Ask your moving company to include any and all additional fees that may pop up.
11. When packing, use towels, socks, clothes to cushion breakables.
12. Pack vertically to save space and reduce chance of breaking dishes and items.
13. Make sure your movers provide free moving blankets. If they do charge for rentals, you can use your own blankets.
14. Get a flat rate moving price when you move.
15. Nest smaller items in larger items to save moving boxes.
16. Consider buying see through plastic crates that you can reuse instead of boxes that will be thrown out.
17. Garage Sale – nuff said.
18. Enlist your friends instead of paying for moving labor if you are loading/offloading a shipment.
19. Dishes can be packed using packing paper – don’t pay for bubble wrap.
20. Pack all of own stuff. If you really cannot pack everything – leave anything expensive and annoying ( dishes and breakables) for your moving company since they are responsible for anything they pack.
21. If you need storage, find a facility that will give you a month free.
22. Make sure your movers will not charge for stairs or a long haul.
23. Organize your move – write down crucial steps to your move so you don’t forget any necessary steps.
25. Consider shipping books via FED EX or USPS – it may be less expensive than paying heavy weight charges on long distance shipments.
26. For a local move, move over boxes and breakables yourself – hire movers to move big, heavy items that could injure you.
27. Negotiate moving fees – suggestions would be negotiating taxes, tolls, mileage or fuel fees.
28. Make sure your movers have a flat rate for travel time – you don’t want to be paying for them to sit in a traffic jam – or worse hanging at the gas station.
29. You can sell moving boxes at Box Cycle
30. The Dollar Store has cheap plastic bins and cleaning materials for the
31. Find movers who will keep your items on a truck if you need storage for a few days or overnight. You don’t want to pay for 2 moves.
32. Find movers who have their own storage facility just in case there is a last minute change.
33. Make sure storage fees are prorated – you don’t want to pay for an additional month if you are only there for a few days over.
34. Measure your furniture before moving it and know where it’s going – most local movers pay by the hour. Don’t pay for them to move furniture twice.
35. You can move non-perishable food.
36. Movers don’t move flammable materials including gas tanks for grills so make sure yours is empty or plan on moving it yourself.
37. For an extensive wine collection, hire professional movers and make sure it is insured. Many movers are not qualified and don’t understand the importance and proper packing procedures for wine and specialty materials.
38. If you are moving a piano, hire movers that move pianos as well. A private piano moving company can cost over $1000 for a same town piano move. If you hire movers that move pianos as well – they will be trained piano moves but will only charge around $350 for the same move.
39. Most movers will do junk removal – but make sure they are not using the same trucks that they use for moving for junk removal or you could end up with unpleasant after effects.
40. Hire movers with clean trucks and that steam their moving blankets.
41. Hire movers that have their own trucks.
42. Make sure your movers have new trucks and change their fleet every 3-5 years max. There is nothing more costly than waiting for a broke-down truck.
43. Skip UHAUL – they will not reimburse for broken down trucks also if they don’t have a truck for your reservation – you’re out of luck.
44. Leave kids/pets at a family member or friends house during your move.
45. You may want to sell your house furnished – saving you and possibly the new buyer decorating and furniture fees.
46. Rental truck companies will usually price match other competitors – call the 800 number and check.
47. Make sure your movers know if they will need to hoist anything. If they don’t find out until that day, you may need to pay while you wait for other movers to come or you may need to wait until the next day if other movers aren’t available.
48. Find movers who have an online inventory so you can ensure you can input all your furniture so both parties are on the same page and you can be sure moving rates wont change.
49. When moving yourself, drive in off hours saving gas and time.
50. Movers are not responsible for IKEA or pressboard furniture – you really need to consider if it is worth it to move those pieces.
51. Sell your used furniture on craigslist or donate.
52. Optimize utility shut-down dates. Do this in advance – especially if moving out of state so you don’t have to pay for additional days.
53. Make sure your realtor/lawyer accounts for any oil leftover in a tank.
54. Instead of tipping your movers big bucks, consider purchasing a less expensive lunch or snacks and drinks which are usually more appreciated.
55. Appliances may not be worth it to move if they are older – especially if you are moving out of state.
56. Moving a hot tub is not possible to move in the winter if you live in the north. Plan this out in advance.
57. Consider moving yourself by renting a moving truck.
58. If you are looking for a discount moving company – you may want to check craigslist or angie’s list – these companies are not recommended if you have really nice stuff but they can usually handle a dorm or the like.
59. You may be able to find moving company coupons. Do a quick google search for the name of your moving company coupons.
60. Priceless antiques or other expensive items should never be entrusted to a moving company that doesn’t have a great reputation. Seek out movers in your area that have won awards and are active in the community – these are usually the best moving companies.
61. Some moving companies offer veterans discounts as well as educator discounts. Most are only 5% off but if you are moving long distance and your move costs $5000+ – that could be a big savings!
62. Save TV and computer boxes to use for your move – it is really expensive to get custom boxes for these items.
63. Save moving receipts -some moving expenses like realtor fees, etc may be tax deductible.
64. Hire a moving company that charges by weight – not square feet. Square feet depends on the way a shipment is loaded, weight is a true, factual measure of the items you are shipping.
65. Label boxes as you are packing so the movers place them in the right rooms at your new residence -this can save lots of time. As we all know, time is money.
66. Disassemble your furniture when you arrive. But remember, movers cannot put together what they take apart. This is especially true for baby cribs and bunk beds.
67. Swingsets and hot tubs cost a bundle to move. Strongly consider selling these items with you house. It just isn’t worth it to move these items.
68. There is a box service called box buddy that recycles boxes – right now they will send 30 boxes for $90 – these prices are about 25% than your local mover but they do reuse which is earth-friendly.
69. Use coffee filters or Styrofoam plates in-between dishes.
70. Put hanging clothes in garbage bags – you can save money on wardrobe boxes.
71. There are charities that will pick up your old, unwanted furniture for free. Some moving companies offer a free delivery of furniture to charities as well.
72. Some cities have utility concierges that will negotiate utility expenses to find the best deals for you.
73. Have any special tools ready for the movers. Moving companies usually have a basic set of tools including allen wrenches. However, if your furniture was purchased overseas there may be special tools that are needed to disassemble and reassembled.
74. Upcycle moving boxes to make them awesome.
75. Try not to close on the last day of the month. Sometimes there are delays in recording the property which will mean your items will have to stay on a truck overnight. Overnight fees should be about $150/night.
76. Take pictures of your space before you move in and after you leave in case there are landlord issues.
77. Use old toilet paper rolls to hold jewelry so it doesn’t get tangled en route.
78. If you are moving long distance, call a reputable mover in the city you are moving to. They can usually book at much lower rates because you would be a back-haul.
79. Basic moving coverage is always free – movers must award it to you.
80. Don’t trust a low-ball estimate – you pay for what you get and no truer words were ever spoken when this relates to moving costs.
81. You can leave fitted sheets on mattresses to protect them although your movers should put shrink wrap on them too.
82. Be precise with your moving company. Your estimate is only as accurate as you are.
83. Don’t pack liquids. You really don’t want spillage all over your items.
84. Find long distance movers with guaranteed delivery and pick-up dates – the last thing you want to do is wait around in anticipation for “up to 14 days.”
85. Use a moving company that won’t sell or barter or trade your move – make sure they do their own moves.
86. Make sure you get copies of weight tickets – any moving company can claim your shipment weighs a certain amount – make them prove it with copies.
87. Your moving company should give you a detailed inventory of the items you have moved – keep this with you.
88. Make a necessities bin which includes everything you need for your first night – toilet paper, cleaning products, sheets, clothes, medications, etc.
89. Portable storage isn’t all it’s cracked up to be – check the reviews. Also, they are very easy to break into.
90. Hire a safe, reliable moving company – you don’t want rogue movers showing up at your house.
91. Make sure your moving company CORI checks all crew members.
92. Have cold drinks on hand – everyone works better when hydrated.
93. Take a picture of your electronic cords or label them so you can remember what they go with.
94. Keep all screws, bolts and nuts in baggies so they don’t get mixed up with your shipment.
95. Check moving company reviews before hiring. Remember yelp reviews aren’t reliable as moving companies can pay for good reviews. Trust customer lobby or google.
96. Find the best questions and the answers your movers should have by using a compare movers worksheet handy.
97. When hiring packers make sure you are getting charged by hour instead of by the box. You will unpack to find three cups in one box…trust me.
98. If you have awkward items that don’t weigh a lot like kayaks or basketball nets – you may be charged a bulky item fee. See if your movers charge additional fees for bulky or unstackable items.
99. Make sure your moving company isn’t going to offload, reload or swap your shipment before delivery.
Being frugal while moving can be a challenge. These tips are priceless and can help you navigate to a low-cost move.