STEP 2: Fill out the general information – you don’t need to add exact addresses – all the long distance moving estimator needs is zip codes
STEP 3: Go through your house and add your inventory. This takes between 5-15 minutes. Other long distance moving estimators take upwards of two hours or longer especially if you have to wait for someone to come to your home for an on-site estimate.
Before even listing your house, most people ask themselves a familiar question: “What will be my average long distance moving cost?“. Please read thoroughly through our average moving cost post with regards to what long distance moving estimates are based on. In a nutshell:
Google states that the American Moving and Storage Association states that the average cost of a long distance move is about $4,300. However long distance moves can be between $1250 and $40,000. It is such a huge range it is impossible to give an “average cost” But, here is what will determine your long distance moving estimate price:
The most important thing to remember here is that the following moving costs are only approximate values that can serve you well to get a general view of what your long distance move will cost you. The best way to get a guaranteed long distance moving estimate is to use the long distance moving calculator.
For the sake of convenience, if we assume that you’re moving to a new city that is exactly 1000 miles away from your starting point, then you have the following moving average price examples:
Studio apartment-. On average, household items found in a studio apartment weigh approximately 2000-2200 pounds then you should expect to pay no less than around $1500 excluding any extra services. Keep in mind, most moving companies have a 2,000 or 3,000 lb minimum
1-bedroom apartment-. On average, household goods inside a 1-bedroom apartment can weigh between 2500 and 3500 pounds, which means that you’ll be paying within the range of $1800-$2500 for a long distance move.
2-bedroom home – On average, the items found in a 2-bedroom residence weigh between 5000-6000 you should be charged no less than around $3500-$4200 .
3-bedroom home- A normal 3 bedroom is approximately 6000-7500 lbs or $4700-$6000
4+bedroom home- usually has 8000 lbs or more, so you can expect $6,000+
Moving out of state or across the country is no easy feat. Whether you’re moving for a new job, to be closer to family, to live in a warmer climate, or for a different reason, the stress of relocation can take its toll. During this time of transition, the greatest help comes from hiring a long distance moving company you can trust to handle your move.
Moving is not the most economical event in a person’s life yet we all do it one time or another. All those boxes and tape are a waste for the environment so here are some ways to use moving pads and bands to alleviate some of the debris discarded after a move and make your move a green one!
Some other things you can do to make your relocation a green move are: recycling moving boxes, hiring green movers, and
Recycling Moving Boxes
If you are a germaphobic, you may not want to use others boxes but if you can live with the possibility of others touching your boxes you can check NextDoor and craigslist for boxes. NextDoor is a great app if you live in a suburb – you can usually find moving boxes within a few days here. Big box stores like costco and bjs as well as liquor stores will have used boxes.
When you a finished with your moving boxes you can post them on-line and/or do something useful with them. I used to let my kids use them to build castles, cars and what have you. Teens may enjoy using a razor to cut out shapes for crafts. There are a ton of cardboard craft ideas on pinterest! Some moving companies will pick up boxes at the completion of a move and use them as floor and wall protectors on another move.
Hiring Green Movers
There are a few green movers that you can hire – but finding some near you can pose a difficult challenge. Monster Movers is a green moving company that uses fuel efficient vehicles, recycled materials, and saves over 50% of paper waste by using electronic copies of estimates, bills and inventory. They are members of the sustainable business network and here are there green initiatives:
Reduce and reuse our moving boxes whenever possible
Offer complimentary retrieval of used moving boxes and packing supplies
Resell used boxes at discounted prices
Collect all non reusable moving boxes, which are then compacted and sent to a recycling center
Recycle anywhere between 20,000 – 30,000 pounds of materials each year
Provide moving boxes that are manufactured from 90% post-consumer recycled materials
Use only biodegradable foam peanuts
Use bubble wrap that is oxo-biodegradable, degrading into only water, carbon dioxide and less than 1% natural biomass
Source the production of our moving boxes and packing materials from companies that participate in Sustainable Forestry Initiative programs
Use FSC certified products for external marketing materials
Member of the Sustainable Business Association
Make sure you do research to make sure you are actually hiring a real green moving company and not just a company called green movers that doesn’t use sustainable practices.
Donate Unused Items
Moving is the perfect time to purge and donate unused items to be used by others. Again, NextDoor is a great app to use where you can post a curb alert letting others know that you have free stuff on your curb that they can take.
Here are our conclusive findings when researching the best moving company in America. We looked at multiple determining factors including moving company reviews, customer service, transparency of moving quotes and community presence.
Our first priority was finding a moving company that could move anywhere in the US
While many companies claim to be national, not all of them actually live up to this promise. Typically, van lines and larger private moving companies are the only companies that were up to this challenge. Some great local moving companies had one location like Meathead Movers in California who would move us from California to anywhere in the US but not from anywhere to California. That crossed Meathead and some other terrific moving companies off of our list.
FACTORS WE CONSIDERED WHEN FINDING THE BEST MOVING COMPANY IN THE USA
1. Offered several levels of liability protection.
All moving companies are required to offer the base liability level of $0.60 per pound, but this might not be enough coverage for you. If you’re using them to move your 50-pound television and it breaks, this level will reimburse you for $30.00. Monster Movers had a reputation of going above and beyond the $.60 per pound by 300%. Final Note: This moving company sticks by their promises.
2. Great Customer Reviews
All of our top moving companies excelled in inspection results and had low numbers of complaints overall. Delving into online review sites – most are owned by van lines, moving companies themselves or affiliates. Monster Movers has over 6,000 five star reviews across platforms like yelp, movincompanyreviews.com and our favorite customerlobby.com. You can read the moving company reviews here.
3. No Major Red Flags
Anyone can access the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration which tracks and investigates customer complaints made against a moving company and lists the results of their truck inspections. Monster Movers had well above average ratings in all categories and only 2 customer complaints back in 2015 to date. We looked at complaints related to shipment documents, estimates/final charges, weighing, pickup and delivery, loss and damage, and claim settlement – all which Monster Movers scored in the top 5% of all moving companies.
4. Easy, Transparent Moving Estimate
One of the things we loved the most about Monster Movers was the ease and accuracy of receiving a quote. we required companies to be accessible. We looked for the ability get a quote fast in the manner that is easiest for you, whether that’s online, over the phone, or in person. Monster Movers offers all of these. Their moving quote button takes you to an online inventory – the only moving company we found that did this with complete accuracy. This generated an instant weight that consumers can see. Monster Movers also guarantees estimates based on this inventory eliminating the need to have an estimator come to your home. Although, this option is still available if needed.
5. Customer Service
We called each company’s customer service line and ranked it according to ease. Monster Movers was #1 in this category. Every office member can look up your move, notes on the move and get any question answered immediately. We wanted to discover how easy it was to reach a representative if we needed to schedule an estimate, get clarification on our bill, or check the status of a claim. We timed how long it took to get a human on the other end of the line — and how helpful that person was when they got there: Did they confidently answer our questions, or were they pushing us to schedule an estimate? Monster Movers staff outshined every other company by giving us information that others skipped over – even if it meant recommending another moving company to consider for example a containerized storage company which Monster Movers doesn’t offer.
There are dozens of sites offering moving coupons on moving labor and moving help – but are they really legit? Moving coupons usually come from van lines or large companies which have systems in place to trick the average consumer. If you read the fine lines on most moving coupons – the coupons must be presented before a quote and/or before the move. This allows the company offering the moving coupons a chance to jack up the price before taking off for your coupon. Not so for some moving companies however. Here are numerous moving coupons and gift certificates for moving help that you can use:
Moving Gift Certificate
Here is a phenomenal moving gift certificate – and it is absolutely free! There is no catch whatsoever. If you know someone who is moving this is a perfect free $100 cash off of a move in gift certificate form.
And even better a free $200 long distance moving gift certificate which costs you nothing. Do you know someone who is moving cross country and would appreciate a moving gift. This moving gift certificate will mean so much to someone and best of all – it’s free!
Now for those of you that are moving yourself and are simply looking for moving coupons to help ease the burden of moving costs, these are the best moving coupons we have found. Overall, these could save you up to $1000 on a long distance move and $500 on a local move. We have checked all of these moving coupons and they are 100% reliable.
Listed above you’ll find some of the best moving coupons, gift certificates, discounts and promotion codes for moving help. To use a coupon simply click the picture- this will bring you to the website of the moving company that accepts the specified moving coupon or gift certificate. Today’s Top Moving Help Coupons are from Monster Movers.
Moving Cross Country is time-consuming, full of surprises, and overall a pain in the butt. Here’s a quick video outlining the steps for moving cross country:
As you can see hiring a reputable moving company is numero uno on the list of importance when moving cross country. Here are some things to look for and a little bit about the best cross country movers we know!
About the Best Cross Country Movers we know – Monster Movers:
Monster Movers is a long distance moving company that consists of a team of professional movers who are experts in storage, relocation, packing, and specialty shipping. Since 1999, we have been in the business of offering exceptionally prompt and painless moving services around 48 states.T his makes us stand out as the best moving company in the US. We are aware that customers will be glad if they can experience this kind of service, hence, we moved to bring their desires to fulfillment. Since we have made Customer Satisfaction our foremost priority, we always ensure to put smiles on the faces of our clients and customers by providing superior customer service support. We have upheld this principle since inception.
OUR CORE VALUES INCLUDE:
To deliver all orders as promised; conducting ourselves with equality and honesty.
To be open-armed to everyone from various backgrounds in the community and workplace.
To be full of empathy for clients, co-staff, and community.
To offer loyal services to all our customers while also responding to all complaints and enquires with attention and accuracy.
Our mission at Monster Movers is to continually surpass customers’ expectations in the standard of satisfaction and value on investment. We maintain guaranteed prices on all orders placed on our out-of-state moving services. Cross country moving costs are affordable because we focus on client progress. Our long distance moving services include packing of all furniture items, kitchenware, mirrors, lamps, pictures, electronics, etc. You can be sure that your belongings are safe with us!
Our professional long distance movers are also skilled at utilizing moving boxes for packaging your valuables; making sure that all items are prepared for out of state move. On pick-up day, a bar-coded inventory list of all items is made, and we will provide you with a copy. We are professional movers and are simply amazing at what we do. We provide all types of long distance moves from and to anywhere within the United States.Going new places can’t come any easier with our astute expertise in storage, moving, relocation, packing, and logistics services. Our long distance moving company is dedicated to unparalleled problem-solving.
Look no further and give us a call today!
Cross Country Moving Company offers competitive rates for every long distance move. Many moving companies offer “low rates” laden with hidden fees and charges. We do not play that game. We provide a guaranteed rate for every long distance move. We also provide free, no-obligation consultations, so you will know exactly how much your move will cost before you even hire Cross Country Moving Company.
At Cross Country Moving Company, we hold our services to the highest of standards and we strive to provide the customer with the safest and most efficient moving solution in the country. We take the safety of your valuables very seriously and that’s why we utilize only the finest moving equipment available. Our fleet of modern moving trucks undergoes regular diagnostic checks to ensure that no harm will come to your possessions during transportation. A fleet of modern trucks means that we can also move more often at reduced costs to our customers.
We also only hire the best movers. Everyone that works for Cross Country Moving Company is a trained, dedicated professional with years of moving industry experience. Our movers go through one of the most rigorous training programs in the long distance moving industry. We also carefully select and train our drivers and packing staff to ensure that our customer gets only the very best service. Cross Country Moving Company stands for professionalism. Each and every one of our employees is expected to uphold our ethic of superior customer service. We believe that you should be able to trust Cross Country Moving Company to treat your belongings with the same level of respect and care as we would our own. In our opinion, there is nothing more important than providing the customer with absolute best service.
Our customers trust us to safely transport their most valuable possessions because of our reputation for unbeatable service and outstanding professionalism. When it comes right down to it our job is about making your moving day as stress-free and enjoyable as possible. Hundreds of extremely satisfied customers have discovered how easy moving can be when you have Cross Country Moving Company on your side. We have remained the most trusted name in long-distance moves and our customers continue to provide us with overwhelmingly positive reviews. When you are in need of a moving service you can trust look no further than Cross Country Moving Company.
Moving Services – Prices, What’s Included and Decoding Your Moving Estimate
So, you have a bunch of moving estimates – all with different moving services, prices for each service – but do you really understand it? All moving services are not created equal by any means so we are going to break it all down for you starting with some moving slang vocabulary words, moving on to help with what moving services are availble, and of course what you should be paying for any moving service.
Moving Services – Terms
When planning a move it’s often difficult to navigate through all moving services and fees for moving services. Here are some terms you will need to be aware of when hiring movers and getting a moving estimate:
full service mover– a mover who provides the broadest range of moving services including local moving, long distance moving, packing, crating, overnight storage, short or long term storage, etc
binding estimate– means that the price quoted in the estimate is the amount you pay for moving services regardless of your shipment weighing more or less than than estimated. The binding estimate for moving services must accurately describe the shipment and all the services the company will provide which means you have to be completely honest with your movers. If you asked the moving company to provide additional services, such as long carry charges, shuttle servies, etc.
binding, not-to exceed estimate – the same as a binding estimate so you will pay for moving services in relation to the weight without a minimum. If the actual weight of your shipment is more than the written estimate, you still pay the amount quoted. However, if the actual weight is less than the written estimate, you pay the lesser amount.
List of Moving Services
Full services moving companies should offer a variety of moving services. Because things can change quickly when moving and waiting for closings it is best to hire movers who offer packing and storage services as well just in case you get caught in a bind.
Long Distance Moving
Packing Material Delivery
Full Service Packing – Your moving company should have the ability to pack your entire home in detail. Movers are trained to pack your home with the utmost professionalism and respect for your belongings.
Piece By Piece Packing – For items that are delicate, breakable or irreplaceable in value, we encourage you to let us know so that we can pack them with the utmost care. Your moving company should offer full service or pay by piece packing services
Material Delivery – If you are planning on packing your own boxes, your movers should offer free material delivery. Don’t get your boxes from home depot, walmart or the like – as expected they are usually cheap and not the best. Your movers will have high quality moving supplies
Basic Household Moving Services
Loading – Loading your moving truck. Your movers should provide moving blankets shrink wrap etc. Your personal contents are systematically loaded onto our moving trucks where they will be transported to their new location.
Transportation – The transport of items to the new residence
Unloading – Part of a basic moving service means movers will carefully place all of your boxes and furniture into each room.
Additional Household Moving Services Available That Usually Have an Additional Fee
Private local and long distance movers don’t usually charge for the services below but van lines usually do – here are the approximate fees for these moving services:
Unpacking – Unpacking of boxes. COST $120/hour
Crating – Customized crates designed to provide optimum protection for your electronic equipment, as well as large, expensive items that cannot fit into standard moving boxes and packaging. COST $100-250/crate
Cars/Boats – COST $1,200-$2,000
Assembly/Disassembly – Most moving companies incude this in their basic services but van lines will not and usually charge for this. COST $400-$600+
Third Party Services – For additional assembly and disassembly services, as well as disconnection, reconnection and cleaning services, we provide third party resources who specialize in the household moving process. Again most private moving companies will do most of these things for you including disconnecting washer/dryer etc. but a van line will charge. COST $300-$1000+
Shuttle Services – Private moving companies do not charge for this as they usually don’t use 53foot tractor trailers for your move but a van line charges. COST $700-$2000+
Storage – Varies depending on number of days/weeks/months but expect a charge. COST $150+/month
What You Should Expect from Your Movers
Full service options
Quality customer service
Moving can be a stressful task, full of its fair share of unwelcomed surprises, but what should not come as a surprise to you is the total amount you see on your moving invoice once your move is completed. Ask your movers for a binding and binding not to exceed estimate.
Packing your kitchen is the most time-consuming room of the house to pack. If there is any room to leave for the movers it’s the kitchen but if you are looking to save some money moving or you are simply moving yourself you will find a little sanity in this easy guide on the proper way to pack your kitchen including cups, wine glasses, plates, tea pots, pots and pans.
Before even starting to do the actual pack, here are the first things you need to complete:
Throw Out Stuff You Don’t Use
Your kids are up and grown – why do you still have a hundred of those annoying plastic popsicle makers that are sixteen for a dollar. These are not even worth the price of the box you will need to pack them
Prepare an Essentials Box
My essentials box would look a lot like this
But if you are a better person than me, you may want to pack items that you will need soon after your movers arrive with your stuff. This should include dishsoap, papertowels, some generic pots and pans.
Before getting started with the nitty gritty of packing your kitchen, here is a quick little video that has more info about packing in it’s 1 and a quarter minute glory than any other long, drawn out packing video you will ever watch.
First Things First
Gather your materials, here’s a quick starter list for an average kitchen
5 Large Boxes : For lightweight and hard to pack items such as plastic kitchenware, dish racks, small appliances, baking tins.
10 Medium Boxes : For heavier items such as small appliances, pots and pans, silverware, contents of drawers, cookbooks.
5 Heavy Duty Boxes ): These have thick, double-walls, perfect for packing fragile items, such as plates, glasses, stemware, wine and canisters.
Paper: You should need a 15-20 lb bundle
Tape: Get heavy duty moving tape
5 Glass Dividers: Dividers are extremely useful for packing glasses and wine
Pack up Kitchen Items You Don’t Use Frequently
Start by packing those items in your cupboards and drawers that you don’t use on a daily basis. It could include:
Food storage containers
Cookie sheets, pie pans
Small appliances, such as mixers, blenders, etc.
Extra dish towels, dish cloths, and oven mitts
Special utensils, such as barbecue tongs, meat mallets, ladles, and spatulas.
Pack up the Booze
Wine and alcohol can be packed early on in the process. Select the bottles you plan on opening between now and the move, Other items you may want to pack now are food items that are in glass bottles, but are still sealed, such as cooking oils, and liquor.
Pack up Dishes, Cups and Glasses
Remember to pack vertically.
Pack the Pantry
The pantry should’ve been sorted by now, keeping only those items you want to move. Start with the spices then work your way to the larger items. Canned goods aren’t worth moving unless you’re moving yourself. Movers will not transport perishable items so those you will have to toss.
Defrost and clean at least 24 hours in advance. Improper preparation can lead to gas leaks, broken parts, and appliances that won’t work. Moving companies will not transport deep freezers that aren’t defrosted so you will need a week to prep your freezer.
Got the original boxes and packing materials for all your appliances? Perfect, these are your safest bet and will keep all your kitchen gadgets safe. If you do not have them, you will need to make use of medium sized boxes that are made of thick cardboard, so they support the weight of your electronic items.
Before you put anything into the boxes, clean and dry every kitchen appliance. Disassemble them and pack each component separately, particularly the fragile ones. Separate these and wrap them with bubble wrap. If you do not have cushioning packing material, you can wrap them up with newspapers.
Start by placing heavier items in the box first and place the smaller items on top. As you pack up the box, fill up the remaining space between each component with wadded up newspaper. Now find the owner’s manual of each appliance, and tape this on the box. This will make reassembling everything simplier later on.
Can you spot a moving scam from a mile away? Most would answer no. Moving companies can have years of shady business practices before actually being shut down… only to open up in the next town over with a new name. We are going to outline the top 10 moving scams and how to avoid moving scams as well as providing moving help for local and long distance moves.
A moving company that doesn’t answer the phone with the company name that is advertised. An example would be a moving company that is advertised “Nationwide Van Lines” but answers the phone “movers,” something mumbled “movers” or another generic company name. This usually means the moving company is hiding their true name from the government, IRS, unhappy customers, etc. It could also mean that the company has changed names which indicates they had to shut down and stop using their name to avoid – taxes, lawsuits, etc. MOVING HELP TIP: LOOK FOR ESTABLISHED MOVERS THAT HAVE — USED THE SAME NAME FOR 10+ YEARS
The low-ball quote. This occurs daily in every city in every state. There is no avoiding the moving scam- it’s up to you to do your due diligence in order to get an accurate moving quote. I suggest using a moving calculator. Now, most moving company moving calculators ask the number of rooms. This is highly inaccurate and often results in both parties arguing and moving prices increasing. MOVING HELP TIP: — USE AN ACCURATE MOVING CALCULATOR THAT ADJUSTS YOUR MOVING QUOTE PIECE BY PIECE FIND ONE HERE.
Moving companies that ask for any more than $100 for a local move or 10% for a long distance move should be avoided at all costs. Many long distance moving scams occur when long distance movers ask for 30-50% down. Simple you are thinking, you can just cancel your credit card if they don’t show up, are late, break things, etc. It’s not that simple. Moving company scammers are so crafty they have you sign to agree to the move. Then, when you go to cancel your credit card, they will say the deposit was non-refundable which is usually in the fine print for the move. Some moving documents are pages long and have multiple “outs” for movers to keep your deposit. This scam is frequently used by agents for van lines as they have the legal support to back up the paperwork. MOVING HELP TIP: NEVER PAY MORE THAN 10% FOR A LONG DISTANCE MOVING DEPOSIT OR $100 FOR A LOCAL MOVE – ANY MORE IS HIGHLY SUSPECT
Additional moving fees are usually not included in a basic moving quote. For example, if you get a moving quote but did not indicate one of the following, many movers will take advantage and charge you more: multiple flights of stairs, elevator, long haul, shuttle fees, taxes, tolls, etc. Besides being up-front with your mover, you should get a guaranteed moving quote. MOVING HELP TIP: FIND MOVERS THAT DON’T CHARGE ADDITIONAL FEES, GET A LIST OF ANY FEES THAT THEY COULD POSSIBLY CHARGE
Many moving companies have great websites. It would be normal to expect your moving company to show up uniformed, with a clean truck, clean moving blankets and provide a professional service. The fact is, most moving companies will show up with an unmarked truck with a crew with ripped jeans and dirty moving blankets. MOVING HELP TIP: LOOK ON SOCIAL MEDIA TO FIND MOVING COMPANIES THAT HAVE THIER OWN CLEAN TRUCKS AND CREW
All moving companies are required to assume liability for the value of the goods that they transport. However, there are two different levels of liability that apply and you should be aware of the charges that apply and the amount of protection provided by each level. MOVING HELP TIP: FIND A MOVING COMPANY THAT OFFERS BOTH TYPES OF COVERAGE
After your move is complete, you will have 15 days in order to file a claim. After that, the window of opportunity has passed. Many moving companies work with a claim company that will strictly adhere to the 15-day window. The problem is, most consumers are not aware of this window and it is usually written in fine print on the contract. MOVING HELP TIP: MAKE SURE YOU GET YOUR CLAIMS IN WRITING TO YOUR MOVERS WITHIN THE 15 DAY TIME LIMIT
Federal law requires one of two kinds of moving contracts. A non-binding estimate means the company cannot require payment of more than 10 percent above the original estimate, due at delivery. It also goes the other way – the moving company expects a certain amount going so your price will be only 10% lower at most. A binding estimate is supposed to be a guaranteed price for the move and all extras. Some moving companies will charge by the cubic foot. Well, essentially you can easily add hundreds of cubic feet on to a move by not packing tight. Moving companies, especially containerized movers are notorious for packing to add less weight and more cubic feet. MOVING HELP TIP: GET A QUOTE BASED ON WEIGHT
Say no to low-ball bids. Watch out for rogue movers who get your business with bargain-price estimates. After filling the truck, they hold your possessions hostage until you pay thousands more. “Hostage load” movers tend to be smaller, unlicensed companies that may advertise on Craigslist or roadside signs. You’re safer checking listings on moving.org, a website run by the industry’s trade group. For moves between states, go to protectyourmove.gov, a federal watchdog website that verifies interstate moving companies’ licenses and complaint histories. One way to save is by moving midweek or in the middle of the month, in the fall or winter. Rogue movers are rampant in the summer and fall months. When moving the famous “you pay for what you get” advice is especially true. MOVING HELP TIP: GET ESTIMATES FROM MULTIPLE SOURCES AND CHECK WEIGHTS WITH AN ONLINE MOVING CALCULATOR TO MAKE SURE YOUR MOVERS ARE IN THE BALLPARK
When hiring a van line, there are many dynamics involved. Your items will be picked up by one vendor, loaded, offloaded into storage, picked up by a truck, possibly swapped onto another truck or offloaded/reloaded at another storage facility, and eventually delivered by another vendor. The damage and loss that occurs with van lines is incredible. The first moving company could wrap and protect your furniture perfectly but no furniture can withstand constant loading and offloading. Many van lines have gone bankrupt or merged with other van lines. If you don’t purchase full replacement coverage, any loss will be valued at $.60/lb/article. Van lines offer full replacement coverage at a much higher ( approximately 80% higher) than a private moving company because they expect loss. MOVING HELP TIP: FIND A PRIVATE FULL SERVICE LONG DISTANCE MOVING COMPANY AND AVOID VAN LINES
If you’re among the 35 million Americans relocating this year, add the need to avoid cons to the other stressors that result from moving. About 3,600 complaints out of 800,000 moves were filed last year by people who hired interstate movers, you will need to heed some advice to make sure you are not a victim of a moving scam.
HOW TO AVOID MOVING SCAMS
Know your paperwork. Keep a copy of everything you sign — especially the “bill of lading,” which is a legal document that acknowledges the carrier is in possession of your cargo and serves as a receipt. An “order for service” lists what the mover will do, as well as pickup and delivery dates, and an inventory list shows each item you shipped and its condition (cross-check it after delivery). With nonbinding estimates, movers may be legally allowed to inflate charges about 10 percent. Binding estimates provide a fixed price but tend to be higher. Movers typically provide minimal insurance; before buying replacement-value coverage, check if your homeowners policy covers items lost or damaged during a move.
1. Ask your friends who they have used
You can research a mover online until the cows come home, but the fact is that websites are easy to put up and take down, online testimonials are easy to fake, and Internet credentials are just words. Talking to a friend or family member, or soliciting the advice of a trusted real estate agent, are better ways to obtain the names of reputable companies.
2. Check your movers out
There are several options for investigating movers, including government sites like ProtectYourMove.gov, and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) site, FMCSA.gov. There are moving scam sites that are actually owned by moving companies. Xpress Movers owns mymovingreviews.com. MovingScam is owned by a van line. Be careful there are many moving scams out there. It is best to hire movers that your friends have hired, you have seen in action or have a third party moving company reviews site like customerlobby.com that does not alter reviews based on payments.
3. Ask about additional fees Your movers should be upfront with all additional fees and what your your moving fees should depend on. Here is a quick video for long distance moving costs which are more complicated than local moving costs
4. Get multiple estimates and use an online calculator to check
Shop around and get three estimates, in writing, after the aforementioned home visit. This is especially important for state to state moves, where the logistics are even more critical. Walter cautions against simply accepting the lowest bid. “It can be a red flag if one of your three bids is much lower than the others.”says Walters. “It’s not always a scam, but ask yourself why is it so low.”
5. Don’t pay your bill upfront
Some companies require long distance moving deposit as high as 50% percent of the total move, especially for a state-to-state relocation. Reputable companies should not require you to pay everything, or even half, upfront. Opt for 10% as a maximum deposit.
Moving scams are the worst. Usually movers will scam people out of a few hundred dollars. A significant amount but not enough to spend hours of time to report, hire a lawyer or even more time-consuming – go to court. They understand this so you must be prepared to use this knowledge so you don’t become a moving scam victim.
Many times the reality of moving is replaced by beautiful pictures of new shiny trucks and movers with ironed shirts and electronic clipboard.
Moving Help However, 99% of the time you will end up with a couple of guys in ripped clothes in a truck that looks like it was last serviced in 1993.
Even van lines who “adhere to standards” have unprofessional vendors in their network. So now the question is who to trust for your move. What moving company can you really trust for a stress-free, professional moving experience everytime?
We can help you find movers with brand new trucks, professionally trained moving crews at reasonable prices!
We have developed Mover-Help.com and MoversNearMe.com to provide our customers with professional, prescreened full service moving companies at reasonable prices Our instant moving quotes allow you to compare moving companies and their services including: loading, unloading, packing, unpacking, specialty moving, crating, and coverage. Follow our three easy steps to finding a great mover near you.
Find Movers – Read customer reviews and compare prices and recieve quotes for INSTANT moving services. All local and long distance mover prices are emailed and have GUARANTEED quotes so there will be no surprises during your move
Compare– No waiting. Receive local moving companies and their contact information immediately, call them directly and discuss your move – you can use our compare movers tool to accurately gauge your moving costs.
Moving Time – You are in complete control of your move! Our moving companies does not receive payment until the moving services are completed to your satisfaction. * There is a $100 deposit for local moves and 10% deposit for long distance moves which are 100% refundable.
MoversNearMe.com allows you to get instant moving estimates from prescreened moving companies
Instant Moving Estimates. Competitive prices for moving services.
Lowest Moving Company prices. No hidden fees. No additional charges.
Unedited customer reviews. Read comments directly from customers.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee. All your money is refundable if you cancel your order.
We connect people with a reliable moving labor to provide packing help, unpacking help, loading help, unloading help, cleaning help and even driving assistance. You can choose from any or all of the moving services you need. Our moving crews provide unpacking, packing, loading, unloading, labor only moves, full service moves, long distance moves and local moves.
Moving expenses can get out of control really quickly – you need to prepare yourself to save money when moving from the very beginning – here are 99 Ways to Save Money When Moving:
1. Buy disposable booties for movers if it rains during your move – this could save money getting carpets cleaned. This is especially true if you are moving into a newly constructed building where the landscaping hasn’t been finished.
2. Schedule your move for off dates mid-week. The beginning, middle and end of the month are usually very expensive and book early. Plan for a weekday from the 7th-12th or 19th to 24th for the best rates.
3. Don’t pay for moving insurance if you already are covered through homeowners insurance – you will have to call and check your policy.
4 Donating your items to Salvation Army or other non-profits will reduce moving costs and provide you with a tax-deductible receipt which will save you money during tax season.
5. Using a moving calculator, get your weight and negotiate the best moving company rates.
6. When moving long distance, you have to consider if your items are worth shipping – for example if your mover charges $.80/pound to move from NYC to Miami – a 200 pound table is going to cost $160. You may be able to get a new IKEA table in Miami rather than pay for shipping your old one.
7. Don’t pay for packing materials. You should be able to find slightly used boxes on craigslist, liquor stores, big box stores like Costco, Walmart.
8. Move during the off-season. January-March are usually much less expensive than June-December.
9. If you are moving to/from a major city – think Boston, NYC, DC – steer clear of long distance movers who charge shuttle fees. A shuttle is a smaller truck that can get into smaller roads and on Manhattan – this can save thousands.
10. Ask your moving company to include any and all additional fees that may pop up.
11. When packing, use towels, socks, clothes to cushion breakables.
12. Pack vertically to save space and reduce chance of breaking dishes and items.
13. Make sure your movers provide free moving blankets. If they do charge for rentals, you can use your own blankets.
14. Get a flat rate moving price when you move.
15. Nest smaller items in larger items to save moving boxes.
16. Consider buying see through plastic crates that you can reuse instead of boxes that will be thrown out.
17. Garage Sale – nuff said.
18. Enlist your friends instead of paying for moving labor if you are loading/offloading a shipment.
19. Dishes can be packed using packing paper – don’t pay for bubble wrap.
20. Pack all of own stuff. If you really cannot pack everything – leave anything expensive and annoying ( dishes and breakables) for your moving company since they are responsible for anything they pack.
21. If you need storage, find a facility that will give you a month free.
22. Make sure your movers will not charge for stairs or a long haul.
23. Organize your move – write down crucial steps to your move so you don’t forget any necessary steps.
25. Consider shipping books via FED EX or USPS – it may be less expensive than paying heavy weight charges on long distance shipments.
26. For a local move, move over boxes and breakables yourself – hire movers to move big, heavy items that could injure you.
27. Negotiate moving fees – suggestions would be negotiating taxes, tolls, mileage or fuel fees.
28. Make sure your movers have a flat rate for travel time – you don’t want to be paying for them to sit in a traffic jam – or worse hanging at the gas station.
29. You can sell moving boxes at Box Cycle
30. The Dollar Store has cheap plastic bins and cleaning materials for the
31. Find movers who will keep your items on a truck if you need storage for a few days or overnight. You don’t want to pay for 2 moves.
32. Find movers who have their own storage facility just in case there is a last minute change.
33. Make sure storage fees are prorated – you don’t want to pay for an additional month if you are only there for a few days over.
34. Measure your furniture before moving it and know where it’s going – most local movers pay by the hour. Don’t pay for them to move furniture twice.
35. You can move non-perishable food.
36. Movers don’t move flammable materials including gas tanks for grills so make sure yours is empty or plan on moving it yourself.
37. For an extensive wine collection, hire professional movers and make sure it is insured. Many movers are not qualified and don’t understand the importance and proper packing procedures for wine and specialty materials.
38. If you are moving a piano, hire movers that move pianos as well. A private piano moving company can cost over $1000 for a same town piano move. If you hire movers that move pianos as well – they will be trained piano moves but will only charge around $350 for the same move.
39. Most movers will do junk removal – but make sure they are not using the same trucks that they use for moving for junk removal or you could end up with unpleasant after effects.
40. Hire movers with clean trucks and that steam their moving blankets.
41. Hire movers that have their own trucks.
42. Make sure your movers have new trucks and change their fleet every 3-5 years max. There is nothing more costly than waiting for a broke-down truck.
43. Skip UHAUL – they will not reimburse for broken down trucks also if they don’t have a truck for your reservation – you’re out of luck.
44. Leave kids/pets at a family member or friends house during your move.
45. You may want to sell your house furnished – saving you and possibly the new buyer decorating and furniture fees.
46. Rental truck companies will usually price match other competitors – call the 800 number and check.
47. Make sure your movers know if they will need to hoist anything. If they don’t find out until that day, you may need to pay while you wait for other movers to come or you may need to wait until the next day if other movers aren’t available.
48. Find movers who have an online inventory so you can ensure you can input all your furniture so both parties are on the same page and you can be sure moving rates wont change.
49. When moving yourself, drive in off hours saving gas and time.
50. Movers are not responsible for IKEA or pressboard furniture – you really need to consider if it is worth it to move those pieces.
51. Sell your used furniture on craigslist or donate.
52. Optimize utility shut-down dates. Do this in advance – especially if moving out of state so you don’t have to pay for additional days.
53. Make sure your realtor/lawyer accounts for any oil leftover in a tank.
54. Instead of tipping your movers big bucks, consider purchasing a less expensive lunch or snacks and drinks which are usually more appreciated.
55. Appliances may not be worth it to move if they are older – especially if you are moving out of state.
56. Moving a hot tub is not possible to move in the winter if you live in the north. Plan this out in advance.
57. Consider moving yourself by renting a moving truck.
58. If you are looking for a discount moving company – you may want to check craigslist or angie’s list – these companies are not recommended if you have really nice stuff but they can usually handle a dorm or the like.
59. You may be able to find moving company coupons. Do a quick google search for the name of your moving company coupons.
60. Priceless antiques or other expensive items should never be entrusted to a moving company that doesn’t have a great reputation. Seek out movers in your area that have won awards and are active in the community – these are usually the best moving companies.
61. Some moving companies offer veterans discounts as well as educator discounts. Most are only 5% off but if you are moving long distance and your move costs $5000+ – that could be a big savings!
62. Save TV and computer boxes to use for your move – it is really expensive to get custom boxes for these items.
63. Save moving receipts -some moving expenses like realtor fees, etc may be tax deductible.
64. Hire a moving company that charges by weight – not square feet. Square feet depends on the way a shipment is loaded, weight is a true, factual measure of the items you are shipping.
65. Label boxes as you are packing so the movers place them in the right rooms at your new residence -this can save lots of time. As we all know, time is money.
66. Disassemble your furniture when you arrive. But remember, movers cannot put together what they take apart. This is especially true for baby cribs and bunk beds.
67. Swingsets and hot tubs cost a bundle to move. Strongly consider selling these items with you house. It just isn’t worth it to move these items.
68. There is a box service called box buddy that recycles boxes – right now they will send 30 boxes for $90 – these prices are about 25% than your local mover but they do reuse which is earth-friendly.
69. Use coffee filters or Styrofoam plates in-between dishes.
70. Put hanging clothes in garbage bags – you can save money on wardrobe boxes.
71. There are charities that will pick up your old, unwanted furniture for free. Some moving companies offer a free delivery of furniture to charities as well.
72. Some cities have utility concierges that will negotiate utility expenses to find the best deals for you.
73. Have any special tools ready for the movers. Moving companies usually have a basic set of tools including allen wrenches. However, if your furniture was purchased overseas there may be special tools that are needed to disassemble and reassembled.
74. Upcycle moving boxes to make them awesome.
75. Try not to close on the last day of the month. Sometimes there are delays in recording the property which will mean your items will have to stay on a truck overnight. Overnight fees should be about $150/night.
76. Take pictures of your space before you move in and after you leave in case there are landlord issues.
77. Use old toilet paper rolls to hold jewelry so it doesn’t get tangled en route.
78. If you are moving long distance, call a reputable mover in the city you are moving to. They can usually book at much lower rates because you would be a back-haul.
79. Basic moving coverage is always free – movers must award it to you.
80. Don’t trust a low-ball estimate – you pay for what you get and no truer words were ever spoken when this relates to moving costs.
81. You can leave fitted sheets on mattresses to protect them although your movers should put shrink wrap on them too.
82. Be precise with your moving company. Your estimate is only as accurate as you are.
83. Don’t pack liquids. You really don’t want spillage all over your items.
84. Find long distance movers with guaranteed delivery and pick-up dates – the last thing you want to do is wait around in anticipation for “up to 14 days.”
85. Use a moving company that won’t sell or barter or trade your move – make sure they do their own moves.
86. Make sure you get copies of weight tickets – any moving company can claim your shipment weighs a certain amount – make them prove it with copies.
87. Your moving company should give you a detailed inventory of the items you have moved – keep this with you.
88. Make a necessities bin which includes everything you need for your first night – toilet paper, cleaning products, sheets, clothes, medications, etc.
89. Portable storage isn’t all it’s cracked up to be – check the reviews. Also, they are very easy to break into.
90. Hire a safe, reliable moving company – you don’t want rogue movers showing up at your house.
91. Make sure your moving company CORI checks all crew members.
92. Have cold drinks on hand – everyone works better when hydrated.
93. Take a picture of your electronic cords or label them so you can remember what they go with.
94. Keep all screws, bolts and nuts in baggies so they don’t get mixed up with your shipment.
95. Check moving company reviews before hiring. Remember yelp reviews aren’t reliable as moving companies can pay for good reviews. Trust customer lobby or google.
96. Find the best questions and the answers your movers should have by using a compare movers worksheet handy.
97. When hiring packers make sure you are getting charged by hour instead of by the box. You will unpack to find three cups in one box…trust me.
98. If you have awkward items that don’t weigh a lot like kayaks or basketball nets – you may be charged a bulky item fee. See if your movers charge additional fees for bulky or unstackable items.
99. Make sure your moving company isn’t going to offload, reload or swap your shipment before delivery.
Being frugal while moving can be a challenge. These tips are priceless and can help you navigate to a low-cost move.
Comprehensive Moving Tips, Advice, Checklist from Industry Leading Mover Company